At Pilrig House Apartments, we observe as many practises that show our Green awareness. The following are provided:
- Eco cleaning products
- Reusable shopping bags
- Water-saving showers
- Water-saving WCs
- Organic, paraben-free Scottish toiletries
- Glass water bottles instead of plastic, in fridge
- Recycling Bins with biodegradable food disposal bags
- A local ‘Charity Map and Guide’ (in our Tourist Information Files), showing all recyling points nearby, charity shops, local Green businesses, etc.
- A local guide to the Water of Leith Cycle route, and walkways, plus leaflet for the local bicycle hire shop (supporting our local businesses)
- A good selection of walking guides and maps are provided for Edinburgh, and Scotland
All our apartments are Non-Smoking rentals!
- Energy-saving light-bulbs are used in all our kitchen and bathrooms, in external areas and in the communal stairwell, and LED lights are used in all overhead lights
- We actively encourage guests to turn off all lights, heaters and electrical appliances when away from the property
- Storage heaters are used in all apartments in the halls, and in the Balfour Apartment living-room
- Double-glazing in our Garden Apartment to prevent heat escaping
- Water tanks are insulated in all apartments.
Supporting Local Businesses
- See the Useful Links page on our website; it is loaded with links to local companies and firms. We contacted all these companies and created reciprocal links with as many of our local businesses as
- possible, eg Rabbies Tours
- On booking, we send all guests many files, one has links to local farmers’ markets & food suppliers, and which highlights the VS ‘Taste Our Best’ awards, another has links to special things to do in Edinburgh
- We provide all our guests with membership of the Edinburgh branch of The Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- In a specially created ‘Restaurant Guide’ we include sample menus and details of all good local eateries in our area.
- In our Welcome Pack, we list all local shops and businesses that may be of interest to you, our guests, eg fishmongers, good butchers, Real Foods, antique shops, food shops and suppliers, cafes, take-away eateries, gift shops, Edinburgh Woollen Mill, local auction sites, vintage clothing/jewellery shops… and many more!
- We have a specially created ‘Tour Guide’ Pack in all apartments – listing all Edinburgh Tour company details and brochures, all local car hire companies and rates, Edinburgh city tour details, and details of any other more unusual touring firms’ details.
Nature at Pilrig House
- In the garden, you can enjoy watching the abundant wildlife – we have a bird-house, bird feeders, and squirrel feeders – and we are happy to report that as well as our resident foxes, we recently observed a family of hedgehogs in one of the corners of the garden
- We recycle all garden waste – this is collected by our local council
- Binoculars provided – local maps/scenic walks provided
- On booking. All guests are sent a file ‘Nature Lovers’, which has details of bird-watching trips/boat trips, local and Scottish gardens, cycle paths, walks, and so on.