Here are some links that we hope you will find helpful when planning your trip. If you would like any further information, please don’t hesitate to ask us.
Travel Directions to Pilrig House
Go to www.theaa.com/route-planner and enter your departure point and Pilrig House’s address: 30 Pilrig House Close, Edinburgh EH6 5RF. It will provide you with step-by-step instructions of a direct route, or you can select a journey that includes places to visit en route.
An alternative route planner website: www.rac.co.uk/routeplanner
FOR CAR SAT-NAV SYSTEMS: Enter postcode EH6 5RF
Plan Your Journey
All-in-one train, airline and bus timetables:
And to help plan your journey throughout the whole of the UK:
Travel Reporting Updates
Motorway and A/B Road information, updated every 5 minutes:
- Caledonian Sleeper timetable, Overnight London to Edinburgh sleeper train - ScotRail
- www.aerlingus.com (Ireland/Edinburgh flights)
Who Flies Direct to Edinburgh Airport?
Who Flies Direct to Glasgow Airport? (only an hour by bus/car from Edinburgh)
Edinburgh Airport, Arrivals and Departures
Getting from Edinburgh Airport to Pilrig House
At Edinburgh International Airport there is a taxi rank directly outside the main entrance. An airport cab here will cost in the region of £25 (9.03 miles).
Please give the address 30 Pilrig House Close (off Bonnington Rd) to the driver.
Local Buses/Tram Tickets
Passes and Tickets
Avoid queueing! Purchase in advance of your stay and gain fast-track entry to some of Edinburgh's must-see attractions:
An Edinburgh Pass gives you entry to over 30 top attractions, so is very cost-effective if you want to do a lot of sightseeing.
- You can buy an Edinburgh Pass online at: www.edinburgh.org/pass/
Royal Edinburgh Ticket
Historic Scotland's Explorer Pass
If you are doing a bit of exploring further afield - whether by organised tour or by car - the great-value Explore Pass gives FREE access to all iconic and historic attractions throughout every area of Scotland, eg brochs, castles, tombs, abbyes, towers, distilleries, palaces... You can choose to purchase a 3-Day Explorer Pass or a 7-Day Explorer Pass - the savings start as soon as you visit 2 historic sites!
National Trust for Scotland (charitable status)
As a member, you obtain free admission to all the fantastic properties owned by the National Trust for Scotland - an amazing diversity of sites, including: castles, historic battle sites, glorious gardens, stunning mountains, nature reserves - plus free admission to properties of Heritage Trusts in other parts of the UK. You also get free parking at sites with parking charges. You can ask to be notified of forthcoming events held throughout the year, eg re-enactments, costumed tours, music, theatre and guided walks.
Local Car-Hire Firms
- Enterprise – 67 Salamander Street, Leith. T: +44 (0) 131 555 0555
- Arnold Clark – 20B-20D Seafield Rd East, Edinburgh. T: +44 (0) 131 657 9120
Edinburgh Cycle Hire
- The Leith Cycle Company, 169 Leith Walk, Edinburgh. T: +44 (0) 131 467 7775 www.leithcycleco.com
- Edinburgh Cycle Hire and Safaris, 29 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh. T: +44 (0) 131 556 5560
The Royal Observatory, Edinburgh
Mary King’s Close
Book tickets online in advance of your stay to avoid the queues!
Edinburgh Museums and Galleries
- Top 10 Edinburgh Museums & Galleries - Edinburgh Travel Guide and Itineraries | NileGuide
- Edinburgh Museums - Edinburgh Museums
Buy tickets in advance of your stay to avoid the queues!
Royal Yacht Britannia
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
Bonnington House Sculpture Garden: 'Jupiter Art Land'
Sculptures and Monuments in Edinburgh
- Historic Scotland Membership: www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/explorer.htm
- National Trust for Scotland Membership: www.nts.org.uk/Join/
Edinburgh Restaurant Guides
- TopTable | Restaurants in Edinburgh
...and Tastes of Scotland
Bespoke Tours of Scotland
Edinburgh and Scotland Tours
The following tour companies are all 4- or 5-star graded by the Scottish Tourist Board – 3 Princes St. Tel: 0845 859 1006 (or +44 (0)131 524 2121):
- Edinburgh's Hidden Gardens Tour - The Royal Mile: greenyonder tours: Hidden Gardens of the Royal Mile Tour T: +44 (0)131 444 1725
- Highland Explorer Tours: www.highlandexplorertours.com - 5-star grading.
1-day, 2-day & 5-day tours. T: +44 (0)31 558 3738
- Rabbies: www.rabbies.com - 5-star grading.
1-day, 2-day, 3-day & 5-day tours. T: +44 (0)131 226 3133
- Highland Experience Tours: www.highlandexperience.com - 5-star grading.
1-day, 2-day, 3-day & 5-day minicoach tours. T: +44 (0)131 226 1414
- Heart of Scotland Tours: www.heartofscotlandtours.co.uk - 5-star grading.
1-day tours. T: +44 (0)131 228 2888
- Haggis Tours: www.haggisadventures.com - 5-star grading.
Highland 1-day tours. T: +44 (0)131 557 9393
- Scottish Highland Tours: www.graylinescotland.com - 4-star grading.
1-day tours. Grayline Scotland offers the service of a pick-up from your accommodation T: +44 (0) 131 555 5558
- Timberbush Tours: www.timberbush-tours.co.uk - 5-star grading.
Half-day, 1-day, 2-day & 3-day tours. T: +44 (0)131 226 6066
- Tour the Highlands with expert and enthusiastic guides in unique 'heelan coo'-inspired bus: www.thehairycoo.com
- Scotline Tours (Thistle Awards Rated ‘Best Value Tours’): T: +44 (0)131 557 1062 www.scotlinetours.co.uk
Edinburgh And Lothian Walks
- Walks & walking routes in Edinburgh and the Lothians | Visit Scotland
- Edinburgh walks (Walkhighlands)
- Walks and tours in Edinburgh through the old town and beyond
- www.walkaboutscotland.com (walks throughout Scotland)
...ghosts, ghouls, graveyards, torture and terror – above and below the ground...
- Mercat Tours: www.mercattours.com
- Auld Reekie Tours: www.auldreekietours.com
- City of the Dead Tours: www.cityofthedeadtours.com
Other Outdoor Pursuits
The National Trust for Scotland Discover Ticket
Seaplane Scenic Tours of Scotland
Helicopter Tours of Edinburgh and Scotland
- You can even hire a personal ‘trike’ to take two people around Scotland. See: www.triketoursscotland.com
Wildlife Photography in the Highlands
Falconry (and Archery)
Scenic Rail Journeys In Scotland
- West Highland Line - Voted (2008) ‘The World's Greatest Train Ride' (Glasgow to Mallaig): The West Highland Line and Scenic Rail
- The Jacobite Steam Engine on the Western Highland Line - Road to the Isles Scotland
- The Jacobite - Trip Details
- All Festival coverage + downloadable Edinburgh International Festival Programme (offers/news of extra performances): www.eif.co.uk
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival: www.edfringe.com
- Edinburgh Art Festival: www.edinburghartfestival.com
- Edinburgh International Film Festival: www.edfilmfest.org.uk
- Edinburgh International Book Festival: www.edbookfest.co.uk
- Edinburgh International Television Festival: www.mgeitf.co.uk
- Edinburgh Military Tattoo: www.edinburgh-tattoo.co.uk
- Festival City Theatres: www.edtheatres.com
- All Festivals’ coverage: www.edinburgh-festivals.com
- Edinburgh guide – displays ratings for shows: www.edinburghguide.com
Pilrig House is only around 10 minutes’ walk from Leith Links – supposedly where the Rules of Golf originated. See www.leith-rules-golf.co.uk.
See our Golf page for additional information about courses and events
Please see our Genealogy section. Particularly if you would like to arrange with our recommended genealogist and researcher, Stuart Reid from Scottish Roots, to get the ball rolling and research your family tree for you in advance of your stay.
However, if the thrill of being your own ancestral detective appeals, and you have plenty of time dedicated for the task while in Edinburgh, you will want to visit:
The National Register of Archives for Scotland in Edinburgh
H M Register House
Edinburgh EH1 3YY
(at the east end of Princes St – around a 15-minute walk from Pilrig House)
It is worth booking time here in advance – it is very cheap and the service is free once you gain admission. It will help with your search if you bring as many relevant birth/death/marriage certificates, or copies, with you.
Useful Genealogy Websites
- www.safhs.org.uk (Scotland’s family history societies)
- www.ancestralscotland.com (Scotland’s genealogy tourism website)
Other Useful Archive Sites in Edinburgh
- www.nms.ac.uk - National Museum of Scotland
- www.nls.uk - National Library of Scotland
- www.scotsgenealogy.com - Scottish Genealogy Library
- Family History Centre – The Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints (Mormons) T: +44 (131) 337 3049
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery Archives (for anyone with a famous ancestor) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scottish United Services Museum Library (regimental histories and biographies of armed forces personnel; index of First World War Medal Roll covers virtually anyone who served).
Film Locations In and Around Edinburgh
Sunshine on Leith, Cloud Atlas, Under The Skin and The Railway Man were filmed in and around Edinburgh in 2012. Some of you may remember Trainspotting, Shallow Grave, or the older classic The 39 Steps. Historic Edinburgh, with its Georgian and Victorian streets, has been the setting for many films over the years. Fans of Ian Rankin's Rebus crime series and film fans - take a tour on foot, and identify some of the locations for yourself:
Edinburgh Authors You May Enjoy
- Ian Rankin: www.goodreads.com/author/show/33031.Ian_Rankin
- Alexander McCall Smith: www.randomhouse.com/features/mccallsmith/main.php
- Kate Atkinson: www.kateatkinson.co.uk
- Christopher Brookmyre: www.brookmyre.co.uk
- Quintin Jardine: www.quintinjardine.com
A Guide to Edinburgh’s Authors and Books
Northumberland (Sleeps 3)
For those of you with a car, wanting to spend a week in Northumberland after leaving Edinburgh, our photographer friend, Tracey Bloxham (www.insidestoryphotography.co.uk - do take a look at her WOW photography), has a charming cottage with a fascinating history, in the Scottish Borders - but on the edge of Northumberland's National Park - only an hour's drive from Edinburgh. The perfect location for visiting: Bamburgh Castle, Holy Island & Lindisfarne, Alnwick Castle, Hadrian's Wall, and an abundance of other gardens, castles and delicious villages and towns in is stunningly beautiful area:
Debbie's personal recommendation - great central location, wonderful service, peaceful street & immaculate rooms!
- London / England / Britain / Special Places / Sawdays - Special Places to Stay
London for Less
London - Luxury
- Cape Town & Seychelles: www.escapologyselfcatering.co.za